The University of Florida's Disability Resource Center (DRC) provides students access to the following free assistive software tools.
Kurzweil 3000 Firefly
Web-based licenses of Kurzweil 3000-firefly® are available for all students looking for reading and writing assistance.
- Kurzweil Education’s Kurzweil 3000-firefly®, offers proven, research-based, literacy solutions that enable students to address learning challenges and build the skills and confidence needed to succeed academically. Reading, writing, and study skills toolbars provide a multisensory approach to learning and support.
- To obtain Kurzweil 3000, complete a Kurzweil request form. Additional information can be found on Software Licensing Service's Kurzweil 3000 page.
Read and Write Gold
- TextHelp’s ReadWrite Gold provides support through online literacy tools to help students improve comprehension skills, increase study and organization skills, conduct research, and produce quality written documents. Read & Write Gold utilizes a customizable toolbar which floats on top of commonly-used applications including: Microsoft ® Word, Google Docs™, Mozilla Firefox®, Internet Explorer®, Safari, Chrome™, and Adobe® Reader.
- Additional information and a link to download the software can be found at the Read & Write Gold section of the Software Licensing Services site.
Remote access of Freedom Scientific's MAGic and JAWS is available to students who are visually impaired or blind.
- MAGic is a computer magnification program designed to help individuals with visual impairments access the computer monitor. The software is used to magnify the computer screen and includes a speech output option. The software uses a combination of Microsoft keyboard commands and MAGic commands to navigate the computer screen and documents.
- JAWS (Job Access With Speech) is a computer screen reading program that allows individuals who are blind or who have visual impairments to read text on a computer monitor using a combination of Microsoft keyboard commands and JAWS keyboard commands. An array of versatile features and customizable options lets the user tailor JAWS to individual needs and preferences.
- To access MAGic and JAWS, fill out a MAGic and JAWS request form. Additional information about Freedom Scientific can be found in the Freedom Scientific section of the Software Licensing Services site.
UsableNet Text Transcoder is a web application that converts UF web pages into its text-only version in order to improve the user experience for disabled or mobile users. The transcoder is useful for the website visitor, since it removes some accessibility issues and small defects such as missing image ALTs, forms that are not properly linearized or flash objects. It also provides some navigation options that are not usually available on browsers and that improve the user experience of disabled users or users of mobile technology.
Enter any URL to see the text-only version.